Search This Blog

Friday 24 December 2010

A Moment of Reflection


It’s Christmas Eve and I decided to take a day off from my continuous quest for all that make up the forefront of cutting-edge fashion, and take a moment to reflect on all the things I already have.  At times it may seem that nothing can make your heart pitter-patter like the buttery leather of Italian shoes or the feel of cashmere against your skin, but when it comes down to what matters, it is the presence of family.
I have a lot to be thankful for because this time last year, my brother was fighting a raging war against Leukemia.  I never felt so scared or so uncertain about anything in my life, and I have never looked the same at anything since then.  Even though I was sick with distress, I couldn’t help but realize how lucky I was.  I was almost 28-years-old when he was diagnosed, and up until that point, I had never even come close to losing anyone in my immediate circle.   Everyone dear to me is still here.  Of course I knew that death and illness were a harsh reality of life, but I never fully understood the brutal impact of everything it entails.  My brother’s illness took what youthful naivety remained and left a grim sense of mortality in its place.  As much as I sometimes long for the security I used to have, I know that it has made me a better person.
 I am one of the lucky ones.  My brother made it and continues to show his resilience with each passing day.  Because of him, I fully understand that life can literally change with every breath we take and that every moment is a precious gift.  Be thankful for each day you have with the people you love most.  Hug them often.  Never hesitate to tell them that you love them.  I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a long life full of happy moments with family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment! I will be sure to visit your blog and repay the kind gesture.